Peripheral Neuropathy is a common affliction in which the peripheral nerves have been damaged. The peripheral nerves are those that connect the spinal cord to the rest of your body (internal organs, muscles, and skin).
The damage can impact:
· Sensory Nerves -- those that receive sensations such as heat, pain and touch
· Motor Nerves -- those that control how muscles move
· Autonomic Nerves -- those that control functions such as blood pressure, heart rate,digestion and bladder functions
Peripheral Neuropathy can occur at any age, but is more common in older adults. It most frequently starts in the longest nerves, i.e. those that reach to your toes and fingers, thereby affecting sensations in feet and hands. If untreated, Peripheral Neuropathy can lead to complications such as interrupted sleep patterns, balance issues, foot ulcers and gangrene.
Symptoms of Neuropathy
Neuropathy frequently begins with feelings of numbness or tingling in the feet or hands. This sensation may spread into the legs and arms along with the development of further symptoms such as:
· cramping or sharp, shooting pains
· a "burning" sensation
· sensitivity to touch
· heat intolerance
· bowel, bladder or digestive problems
· blood pressure changes resulting in dizziness
· skin, hair or nail color changes
· muscle weakness or paralysis
Causes of Neuropathy
Pinpointing the exact cause of Peripheral Neuropathy can be difficult because of the number of varying factors that can contribute. It frequently occurs in patients with diabetes -- at least half of all diabetics also have some type of related neuropathy. But it also can result from other issues such as:
· traumatic injuries
· repetitive physical stress
· infections, such as Lyme Disease or Hepatitis C
· nutritional deficiencies, particularly low vitamin B
· kidney, liver or thyroid disorders
· prescription medications
· exposure to toxins
· chemotherapy treatment
· alcohol abuse
· autoimmune disorders such as Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis
Drug-Free Neuropathy Treatment in San Diego
Dr. Nicholas LaHood, D.C. of Advanced Chiropractic and Wellness Center in San Diego, offers a breakthrough treatment plan for the pain, numbness, and other symptoms of Peripheral Neuropathy: the Neurocare Peripherial Neuropathy Protocol. This specialized protocol offers components that have been internationally recognized for many years, as well as new advances in neuropathy treatment. The Neurocare Peripherial Neuropathy Protocol addresses the pain of peripheral neuropathy with a drug-free, non-invasive approach using Infrared Therapy and Photomodulation to stimulate tissue repair.
If you or a loved one suffers from neuropathy, and it's debilitating symptoms, contact Dr. Nicholas LaHood and Advanced Chiropractic and Wellness Center today at (858) 987-8282. Through our philosophy of Patient Centered Healthcare, our professionals work to understand you, your symptoms and your lifestyle to quickly determine if you are a candidate for the Neurocare Peripherial Neuropathy Protocol™. No matter the cause, we work with our patients to treat their pain, identify the factors contributing to it, and develop further treatment plans and lifestyle changes to keep them pain free.